All rules may be changed or added to at any time!
- Highland Speedway will not tolerate fighting. Anyone (driver, pit crew, owner, etc.) who leaves the car’s pit area and enters another driver’s pit area will be asked to load the car and leave the premises!
- It is the responsibility of all participants to know the rules.
- Situations not covered in any of these rules will be handled at the discretion of the track promoter as they arise.
- Any violation of these rules are considered cheating and upon the first offense, all Highland Speedway points earned through the date of the offence will be stripped from the driver; the driver will start with zero points the following week.
Decisions of the track officials are FINAL!!!
- 1964 or newer stock OEM perimeter American rear-wheel passenger car frame only. No sports car frame. No convertibles or station wagons. No stub cars
- Frame must be full and complete, cannot be widened or narrowed, and must be able to support roll cage on both sides: exceptions are weight jack in original line of spring tower; frame may be cut a max. 36in forward from center of rear end housing, horns may be removed in front of steering box and notched maximum one inch at bottom for tie rod clearance, front cross member may be notched and boxed for radiator and/or steering clearance, maximum seven inch wide opening in side of spring tower for spring removal
- All cars must have box-type roll cage of at least 1.5” O.D. tubing .095 minimum thickness, all cars must be equipped with a minimum of three protective bars inside each door. Halo loop MUST be a SINGLE bar.
- Must have loop to protect fuel cell
- Minimum wheelbase 108” maximum 112” both sides
- No part of frame can be lower than four inches from ground except front cross member
- Floorboard must be steel or 16 gauge aluminum
- Driver’s windshield opening must have a minimum of 3 upright bars of 3/8” gauge steel rod welded to roll cage in front of driver 6” apart. Windshield opening covered by wire mesh is strongly recommended. Door window openings must be a minimum of 12”
- Bumpers: must not be wider than outside of the frame, must run modified style bumper, all bumpers must be securely bolted or welded. All bumpers & nerf bar ends must be capped, door nerf bars 1.25” max tubing.
- Two options: aftermarket three link design or multi leaf spring design. All components must be steel, all mounts and brackets must be welded or bolted solid
- Three link design requirements: no swing arms, pull bar must be mounted within 6” of center of housing. May mount rear spring directly over housing or use coil-over eliminators (sliders). Lower spring perch or coil over mount must be welded or bolted solid to rear end housing. Birdcages must be locked.
- Multi-leaf spring design requirements: multi leaf steel springs (no composite/fiberglass). Adjustable lowering blocks allowed.
- Stock unaltered lower control arms in stock location-may be switched per make. Must be Chevy-Chevy Ford-Ford. Monoballs allowed. Only modifications are to allow screw in lower ball joints and alter so lower control arm doesn’t hit hub.
- Five-lug stock spindles, no fabricated spindles
- Weight jacks may be used; screw type only, cannot be adjusted from driver’s compartment
- Upper pull bar must be solid and within one inch of center line rear end.
- All J bars and pan hard bars must be mounted from left side of frame to right side of rear end or vice versa and must be solid mount.
- 72” from center of rear end housing to the back of the block
- Tubular upper “A” frames allowed. Swedge tubes are allowed. Can run heims on uppers.
- 360 c.i. max, factory OEM blocks only, can mix match frames and motors
- NO 400 c.i. blocks
- Heads: aftermarket or stock steel heads allowed, no aluminum heads, must be stock valve angle Chevy 23* Ford 22*
- Intakes: aluminum one-piece sand-cast intakes allowed.
- Rocker arms: 1.5 Chevy or 1.6 Ford ratio rockers. No shaft rockers. Stud girdles allowed
- Any distributor allowed. No mag or crank trigger. MSD allowed
- Stock journal size. 3.48 stroke Chevy (open motor)
- Any steel oil pan allowed. No dry sumps. Inspection plug recommended in oil pan. No inspection plug and you may be required to remove the oil pan.
- Oil coolers allowed
- 602 Chevy crate engine allowed. Motors and carburetors can be claimed, traded, and/or teched at any time by rules committee. Factory hei distributor, msg.
- No roller cams
Fuel and Carb
- One (1) four (4) barrel 650 cfm unaltered Holley carburetor, art Number 4777 r 80777 or Holley HP Carburetor Part Number 80541-1, (-2) will be permitted. One (1) two (2) barrel unaltered cfm Holley carburetor Part 4412 will be permitted. All carburetor components must remain unaltered. Any changes will result in disqualification from the event. Any alterations to the carburetor will not be permitted. Removal of choke assembly and air horn only. Must pass gauge inspection.
- Air cleaner max height from air horn base 5”
- 2” max carb spacer, 1 spacer only
- Racing gas or pump gas only. No alcohol, nitrous oxide, propoline oxide, nitro methane, or additives.
- Fuel cell required. Must be contained in an approved container. Fuel cell no to be mounted lower than center of rear axle, with minimum two straps 1/8” x 2”.
Belt driven fuel pump allowed only when block is not machined for mechanical pump.
Clutch and Transmissions
- Transmission must have 2 forward gears and a working reverse. Must have functional clutch. No in and out boxes
- Bert type transmission allowed
- Starter must be in stock location
- Blow-proof bell housings required. Automatic transmissions must run explosion-proof blanket or ¼” steel scatter shield over converter
- All cars are required to have a drive shaft loop 12” from end of transmission
- All drive shafts are to be painted white. No aluminum or carbon fiber drive shafts allowed.
- Any steel approved OEM passenger car or truck non cambered rear end allowed. Must be centered in chassis
- All components must be steel. Except lowering blocks, axle cap, and drive flange
- Safety hubs (floater) allowed
- quick change allowed. The ring and pinion on a quick change must be 10”.
- Inspection hole in housing required
- Center section and yoke cannot be lightened. Full spools and mini spools only (no type of lockers allowed) No aluminum 3rd No offset ring and pinions.
Wheels and Tires
- Maximum 8” wide wheels. Wheel covers and bead locks are optional on right side only.
- Must be EMOD 26.5 or 27.5 A, AS, H
- 9/16” or 5/8” wheel studs must be used on right side
- Tires may be siped. Front tires may be grooved. Rear tires may be grooved per Highland Speedway rules. (burn off period by April 31st)
- Tires must pass durometer within manufacturer specs. Tires may be checked at any time.
Shocks and springs
- One steel, non-adjustable, unaltered shock per wheel only. All shocks must completely Collapse at any time. No external or internal bumpers or stops. No bulb-type, threaded body, AGR, or remote reservoir shocks. No Schrader valves or bladder type valve allowed. No Inerter, J-damper shocks, active mass damper chocks and/or through-rod-designed shocks allowed. Rules committee reserves the right to allow or disallow any shocks at their discretion. It is the responsibility of the racer to receive approval for any questionable shock used in competition. $150 claim per shock and will be offered for resale Minimum 4.5” springs only. No progressive springs allowed.
- One Shock and spring per wheel.
- One steel.
- Crate and open motor weight rules is 2500.
- Lead must be painted white and mounted with a minimum of 2- ½ bolts. Lead may not be inside the driver compartment or outside the body.
- Minimum three-wheel brakes. Brake adjusters are allowed inside the car. Dual master cylinders allowed
- Aluminum brake calipers not allowed.
- Mufflers are mandatory. No zoomies. May exit left side but noise level must be below decibel limits.
- No tri-y or stainless steel headers
- UMP Body rules apply.
- Nose no wider than the frame horns
- No sideboards, sails must attach to roof and must be same height as the spoiler at spoiler. Both sails must be same.
- There must be an 18” number on each door and the roof. All numbers and letters must be easily visible and readable by the track officials. In the situation of duplicate numbers the track officials may assign a letter to you. It is your responsibility to add this letter to your car on the roof, driver’s side and passenger side; failure to do so will cause you to be scored last for your event.
- One OEM style battery allowed. 14” x 8” maximum. No 16v batteries. Must be mounted with a 3/8” rod and be mounted behind fire shield and out of driver’s compartment
- A switch to disable all power to car must be installed behind driver within reach of safetyman at shoulder height and must be clearly marked on/off.
- All cars must have sturdy seat belts and safety harness, three-inch belts required. Must be 5 yrs or newer and date tag must be visible.
- Five-point safety belts and flame resistant racing suit required.
- Gloves recommended
- All drivers must have an approved racing helmet
- Window net Recommended
- Head and Neck restraint systems highly recommended
- Anything can be checked at anytime at the discretion on the tech committee.
- IF IT DOESN’T SAY YOU CAN DO IT, IT IS NOT LEGAL
- Situations not covered in any of these rules will be handled at the discretion of the track officials and/or tech committee as they arise.
- Any claim can be checked for $100. If car is legal, you lose $100 and it goes to driver.
- All violations, claims will be put by Marty. Pictures will be taken and posted on social media.